Tuesday, 3 September 2013

white dress

I have been planning a photo shoot in which I'd like to use a plain, long dress preferably off-white or of warm colour. A very easy thing to find isn't it? Well, visiting a Salvation Army second hand store I found one. It's of a perfect shade of white with nice design and almost perfect lenght.
Aino and I went to test that dress to a near breakwater with cool bushes, beautiful shore and big rocks.

We didn't have a precise goal so the photos ended up being rather beautiful and nice but nothing more. I became puzzled because of this. Well, not particularly puzzled but I had to think it through. This wasn't the first time we had gone to shoot with no plans but never before had the outcome been so neutral. It could have been that this shoot had nothing even close to extreme (except for one position on a rock that Aino bravely held) or new or exciting.
Thus I've started to think what it is that I want to capture. What is the thing that makes a photograph good? I've thought about a few definitions, but I don't think either one is good by itself. Even all of them together don't explain everything there is to this:
I want to capture something special and beautiful.
I want to get a photograph that shows the best of what is in front of the camera.
I want to capture something that could not be seen in reality.
I want to get a photograph that is more than the reality in front of the camera.

This clearly is an issue I still have to think about. I sure like it when I get a good photograph when I didn't expect it but random disappointments are not nice. I'm not saying I'm disappointed in these shots, no way, but I didn't get thrilled the same way I usually get when shooting. I don't want to lose that feeling so I want to know where it comes from.

Aino

Aino

Aino

 

Aino

Aino

Aino

On tumblr I was asked about inspiration. What makes me inspired? Such a huge question needs a proper answer, but for now I can give this: my favourites on flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment